Personal Injury LAW
Auto Accident Attorneys
Located in Memphis, TN
While some auto accidents are relatively minor, others can result in a number of serious injuries or even death. If you or a loved one has been injured or involved in car accident near the Memphis area, it's in your best interest to speak with a family member of The Chiozza Law Firm right away. As the victim of an automobile accident, you have legal rights that entitle you to compensation if you can prove another person or entity is at fault.
Any of our attorneys at The Chiozza Law Firm would be more than happy to meet with you during a free consultation to discuss your claim and advise you of your best options.
Common Causes for Auto Accidents
Car accidents occur on a daily basis. While some car accidents are just that, an accident, other times they occur because of another person's negligent or reckless actions. Common causes for car accidents include:
- Distracted driving - texting, or talking on the phone
- Aggressive or reckless driving - failure to yield, road rage, speeding, or tailgating
- Negligence - accidentally running stop signs or red lights
- Impaired driving - drowsiness, medicated, or driving under the influence
- Defective vehicles - faulty brakes, blown tires, or broken head and tailights
- Inclement weather conditions - snow, ice, or heavy rain
- Road conditions - traffic flow, poor road maintenance, debris in the road and fault signage
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
The time following an automobile accident can be confusing and complicated. Getting proper medical attention should be your first priority, and we can help you find qualified doctors. Our attorneys will come to you even if you are in the hospital. They can determine if you have a personal injury case and advise you on the best course of action to ensure your rights are protected.
Determining Who Is At Fault In a Car Wreck
This process can be tricky, and if the accident involves many cars, or is particularly severe, it may even result in a case to determine who is at fault. Initially, police officers will interview each driver separately about the incident. After gathering the information that they can, they’ll submit the report. From there, insurance companies will determine who was at fault. Sometimes there may be several at-fault parties.
Getting Information From All Involved Parties
After the police have gathered information, you will need to exchange information with the other parties involved. This can include insurance information, names, addresses, and anything you may deem necessary to getting your claim settled. However, it’s important to watch your language and communication with the other party during settlement. Anything you say can be used against you during a claim, and a simple apology for the accident may be taken as an admittance of fault.
Car accidents happen quickly and without warning. If you feel like you need representation or guidance, we’re here to help.
READ MORE: Insurance Claims After an Auto Accident - The Basics
Common Accident Locations in Shelby County
Shelby County is the number one county in Tennessee for distracted driving crashes, accounting for nearly 30% of all distracted driving crashes in the state. In addition to this, many intersections and roads in Shelby County are shown to be especially dangerous, including:
- Winchester Road to State Line Road through the Hacks Cross area
- Hickory Road and Riverdale Road
- Hacks Cross and Shelby Drive where the lanes change from six to two
- Poplar Avenue and Ridgeway Road
- Shelby Drive and Lamar Avenue
- Winchester Road and Kirby Parkway
- Compress Drive and S Lauderdale Street
- E Holmes Road and Lamar Avenue
In general, most car accidents occur along 1-240. This is typical for a major city’s beltway, but the Memphis area is seen as especially dangerous.
What Are Common Injuries in a Car Accident?
Car accident injuries can occur in many different ways and cover a wide range depending on the type of collision and the aftermath. Some of the most common car accident injuries are:
- Head injuries, concussions, and traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries such as whiplash
- Back injuries
- Internal bleeding, kidney damage, and other organ damage
- Broken bones, such as arms, legs, or ribs
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Memphis, you’ll want to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to financial compensation, and contacting a lawyer as quickly as possible can help your case.
READ MORE: Memphis Personal Injury Attorneys
Why Contact a Car Accident Attorney?
An attorney looks into many factors when filing a car accident lawsuit, including proving negligence of other drivers, the extent of injuries, and property damage. A settlement may cover medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and property damage. How an injury changes the quality of your life also contributes to the calculation of the amount of a settlement.
When Should You Hire a Car Accident Attorney
When it comes to auto accidents, the sooner you can hire an attorney, the better. All states have different deadlines for filing a personal injury claim. If you incur medical bills or other damages, getting your case resolved in a timely manner is important. Typically, if you have any doubts or questions regarding an auto claim case, contact us. We have the experience and skillset to help you navigate what can sometimes be a confusing and painful process.
What Damages Can You Recover?
Damages from an auto accident in Memphis come in various forms. You need to be aware of the damages you can recover, otherwise, you could be spending considerable amounts of money out-of-pocket for something you didn’t cause.
Here are the damages you could recover with the help of our Memphis car accident lawyers:
- Medical expenses: if the auto accident was serious enough to cause bodily injury, then you absolutely need to seek medical attention. After you receive an evaluation and a doctor determines the necessary treatment for an injury, we can work to guarantee you receive the compensation you deserve. In some cases, treatment may be needed in the coming months or years, and we can help you receive compensation for those treatments as well.
- Lost wages: if you have to miss work due to an auto accident, then you’re missing out on wages. We can help you secure compensation for lost wages and protect you from any improper compensation or treatment by your employer, in case you aren’t offered compensation for lost wages.
- Property loss/damage: we can help you secure the money you need to replace or repair your vehicle. Insurance companies are to assist you in each aspect and we work to guarantee everything is provided for your property loss or damage.
- Loss of consortium: if you’re married, then your spouse could be entitled to a monetary settlement if you’re unable to do normal household duties (taking care of children, household chores, etc.) as a result of your injuries.
How Chiozza Law Can Help
You could be entitled to additional auto accident damages. Please speak with our team of accident lawyers in Memphis to determine the amount of compensation you could quality for.
Areas We Serve
- Motorcycle and Bicycle Accidents
- Trucking Accidents
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Accidents
- Drunk Driving Accident Victims
The experienced auto accident attorneys at The Chiozza Law Firm know how to deal with insurance companies—and file lawsuits if necessary—to get you full and fair compensation. Please explore our blog to gather additional information that may be helpful to you following an automobile accident.
Contact The Chiozza Law Firm at 901-526-9494 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced auto accident attorney.