• Watch our video
  • 901.526.9494
  • Text Us
  • Search


Dealing with a Hit-and-Run Accident

Mid-South Personal Injury and Auto Accident Attorneys

Unfortunately hit-and-run accidents occur too often in the Mid-South area and the personal injury havoc they can cause can affect not only your car, but can also cause physical and mental duress. 

Usually in these cases, an individual will flee the scene of an accident because they do not have active automobile insurance at the time or they have other legal problems and are scared to speak with the police for fear of getting in more trouble. Being the victim of a hit-and-run accident puts more stress on you than a typical accident because of all of the complexities involved. 

 With a normal accident, all of the parties exchange information and a police report with this information is filed for insurance purposes. With a hit-and-run accident, the identification of the at-fault driver is unknown, thus depriving you and your insurance company of critical information.

If possible, immediately document every detail you can remember related to the accident. This information should include: 

  • The make and model of the hit and run vehicle
  • License plate number.
  • Names of any witnesses and their information

This information can help provide an accurate picture of what happened and usually provide additional information about the hit-and-run vehicle you may not have noticed, and even help identify the driver.

It is extremely important that even if the at-fault party flees the scene of the accident you should remain there and wait for the police to come so that an accident report may be filed. This will be necessary in order to file a claim with the insurance company. 

As a victim of a hit-and-run accident you may also be entitled to compensation beyond the property damage. Following the accident if you are able to identify the at-fault party's insurance carrier, you can still file a claim. 

If the driver ultimately remains unidentified, a claim can be filed with your own insurance company under your uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage will often cover property damage, medical expenses and out of pocket expenses.

If you need assistance following a hit and run accident please call The Chiozza Law Firm at 901-526-9494 or fill out our online form for a confidential case evaluation.

Posted by Brian Chiozza at 9:00 AM
Text Us

Please answer the simple math question below to submit the form.
2 + 2 =