Serious personal injury claims can have life-altering consequences, including permanent scarring. Permanent scarring is usually seen in auto accidents and dog bite claims. It is heartbreaking to see a client that will have to live with a permanent reminder of an unfortunate accident. How a permanent scar or disfigurement impacts a victim's personal injury claim will depend on the following factors:
- Location of the scar or disfigurement
- Permanent scars on one’s face or visible areas of the body are usually more difficult for a victim to cope with after an accident.
- The age of the victim
- A young child suffering a permanent disfigurement will have to endure the psychological pain for years longer than an elderly individual involved in an accident.
- The physical effect of scarring
- In some instances, a scar can physically affect one’s mobility.
- Some individuals are employed in jobs where a permanent scar can negatively impact his/her ability to work or maintain prior employment. For instance, a television host or actor/actress will obviously be affected by a permanent scar or disfigurement.
- Possibility of plastic surgery
- Some scars can be lessened thru plastic surgery, while others cannot. There have been a number of medical advancements that work to diminish scarring. Depending on the nature of the injury, multiple surgeries may be necessary over a number of years.
For many years, The Chiozza Law Firm has assisted victims afflicted with permanent scarring related to personal injury claims. It is our job to seek the compensation they deserve after serious accidents. If a client sustained permanent scarring or disfigurement, we will try to set the client up with a plastic surgeon to determine the possibility of a scar revision procedure and the future cost of said treatment. As mentioned above, some plastic surgeries will occur over years, and we submit the cost of such future treatment to the responsible party or insurance carrier as part of a client’s damages. These future damages should be documented and considered before settling a personal injury claim.
If you have been involved in a serious personal injury, call The Chiozza Law Firm at 1(901)526-9494 for a free case evaluation. We will be happy to review your legal options and provide a clear directive on how to proceed. It costs nothing to speak with one of our attorneys — just a little bit of your time. If you want The Chiozza Law Firm to serve as your legal representative, we charge nothing upfront, and you’ll only receive a reasonable fee if we are successful in obtaining you a settlement or verdict. For immediate assistance, email attorney, Brian Chiozza, at email@example.com or text a team member at 1(901)545-9390.