As winter weather arrives in Memphis, we wanted to focus on how to handle winter auto accidents. No surprise, but we typically see an influx of auto accidents around the city when winter weather arrives.
If you are involved in one of these accidents, remain calm. These are usually accidents, not intentional acts. You pay auto insurance for a good reason, and that insurance protects you in these situations.
If you are involved in an automobile accident, taking a few simple steps can save you from potential headaches down the line.
- Determine when to safely exit your vehicle, but do NOT move your vehicle from the accident scene. Moving your vehicle prevents the officer from properly determining fault among the involved drivers. Stories always change when officers arrive on the scene, but the vehicle’s position and place are usually good indicators of which party is at fault.
- If immediate medical attention is necessary, call 911 and wait for emergency services to assist you. Moving a severely injured party can cause additional injuries or further damage an injured area of the body.
- Report the accident by calling the local police department. We cannot state how important it is that a proper police report is documented. A police report provides the necessary proof for insurance companies to assist you in investigating the claim. Without a report, people can change their stories or “misremember” facts, making it difficult to determine who was responsible for the accident. You can obtain a copy of your accident report at the Memphis Police Department’s Central Records at 201 Poplar, 10th Floor, or an attorney at The Chiozza Law Firm will obtain a copy for you.
- Your cell can be your best friend at an accident scene. While you certainly should avoid using your phone while driving, use your cell phone to document and take pictures of the accident scene, license plate information and surrounding areas or conditions if such factors contributed to the accident. You would be surprised how much a short video of the accident scene or a few cell phone pictures can assist your Memphis attorneys with your injury claim.
- Usually, witnesses do not patiently wait around for the police to arrive, so make sure to get each witness’ name, address and phone number. Provide the investigating police officer with this information so that they can follow up with any witnesses if there is a question associated with fault.
- If your car must be towed from the scene, get the name and contact information of the towing company.
Whether you are a driver, passenger or pedestrian involved in an automobile accident, you need an experienced attorney to help you through the process. The Chiozza Law Firm has handled thousands of automobile, bus and motorcycle accident cases through the years, achieving substantial settlements and verdicts. We are a firm that you can trust, as evidenced by our reasonable fee arrangements and past history. Call 901-526-9494 for a free consultation or contact Brian Chiozza, email@example.com, for immediate assistance.
It costs absolutely nothing to speak with an attorney at The Chiozza Law Firm about your case, but it can cost you more than you think should you not consult with an experienced attorney.
For more updates, visit The Chiozza Law Firm on Facebook and on Twitter!
Your901Law.com, the Memphis Law Firm for all of your legal needs!
Your City. Your Life. Your901Law.