Unfortunately, domestic assault cases in Memphis and in the United States are a constant. Unlike other common criminal acts, there is no time during the year when we see a decrease in arrests for domestic assault. While some of those accused of this crime are wrongfully charged, many are guilty and are therefore handed down a legal punishment. An admission of guilt or guilty verdict to the charge of domestic assault in Memphis, TN carries the following punishments and implications:
- In Memphis, TN the crime of domestic assault is an A misdemeanor punishable by up to 11 months and 29 days in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.
- The felony charge of aggravated assault, depending on the facts, can be considered either a Class C or D felony. These felonies can carry between 2-15 years and a fine of up to $5,000.
- A guilty plea or finding of guilt to one of these domestic assault charges will either involve jail time, probation, or a combination of both.
- If placed on probation for domestic assault in Memphis, TN, the defendant will most certainly have to attend some type of domestic violence prevention classes for an extended period.
- Other common conditions of probation for domestic cases are anger management classes, alcohol/drug treatment, individual counseling, or community service.
- A guilty plea to a domestic assault will also permanently forfeit his/her rights to own a gun.
- A domestic assault charge will forever remain on the defendant’s public record unless he/she was placed on judicial diversion.
- Judicial diversion is a probationary period for first-time offenders in Memphis, TN who will be sentenced to probation but can petition the court to dismiss the charges should he/she remain out of trouble and adhere to all probationary conditions during the allotted amount of time.
The Chiozza Law Firm is a family-run firm that has 40+ years of criminal defense courtroom experience in Memphis,TN, assisting Mid-South residents with all types of felony and misdemeanor charges. On a daily basis, we handle cases involving Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Theft of Property, Driving While License Suspended, Passing Bad Checks, drug-related offenses (including possession charges), Assault, and many other crimes. If we are successful in obtaining a dismissal, we also handle the expungement process that will clear all charges from your public record.
Hiring a Memphis criminal defense attorney does not have to be complicated. Simply call 1(901)526-9494 to speak with a member of our criminal defense team and we can discuss a reasonable fee arrangement and offer insight into your legal matter. You may also email criminal defense attorney Brian Chiozza, at email@example.com, or fill out an online form here.
SPEAK TO A LAWYER
For more, visit The Chiozza Law Firm, on Facebook and Twitter, or
www.901Law.com, the Memphis Law Firm for all your legal needs!
This Blog/Website is made available by the Lawyer or Law Firm Publisher for educational purposes only, as well as to give you information and a general understanding of the law. It is not to provide you with specific legal advice. By reading this blog, you understand there is no attorney/client relationship between you and the Blog/Website publisher. The Blog/Website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.