Loss of Income Damages in Tennessee
If you have been involved in an auto accident or sustained a personal injury due to the negligence of another driver then you probably also have damages related to loss of income. Loss of income or lost wages are the economic damages one incurs when they are unable to work due to injuries sustained as the result of personal injury or an auto accident. These economic damages in Tennessee can be as little as taking a few days off to recover from an accident to critical, life-changing injuries that prevent you from being able to work.
Loss of income damages are calculated depending on the client’s employment position, along with other important factors:
- If a client is paid hourly, then lost wages will be calculated by the number of hours missed from work due to accident-related injuries.
- If a client is self-employed then lost wages will be determined by previous years’ earnings as a guideline for the present income possibly lost.
- If an employee is paid weekly or bi-monthly, then he/she will be reimbursed for the weeks missed from work.
- If an employee is forced to use sick leave or vacation time following an accident, then they will be compensated for such time off as a part of their loss of income.
- If an employee missed out on overtime work he/she could not perform, your attorney will provide proof of past overtime pay as supporting evidence for such lost wages.
As mentioned above, when an employee suffers severe injuries that prohibit lengthy or permanent work restrictions, a loss of future earning can be calculated with the assistance of an expert Tennessee personal injury attorney. We will typically examine the client’s age, work history, education, and ability to reenter the workforce when determining the loss of future income.
If your auto accident or personal injuries involve missed time from work, the team of personal injury attorneys at The Chiozza Law Firm will provide you with a Lost Wage Statement that can be filled out by your employer. We will then submit your Lost Wage Statement to the appropriate insurance carrier along with proof of all other related damages.
If you were injured in an auto accident or sustained an injury due to the negligence of another party, contact The Chiozza Law Firm online or call 901-526-9494 to schedule a confidential and free case evaluation. We want to ensure that every client is compensated for all the damages they sustain in an accident, including lost wages and income.
SPEAK TO A LAWYER
For up to date court changes, visit The Chiozza Law Firm, on Facebook and on Twitter.
www.901Law.com, the Memphis Law Firm for all your legal needs!
This Blog/Website is made available by the Lawyer or Law Firm Publisher for educational purposes only, as well as to give you information and a general understanding of the law. It is not to provide you with specific legal advice. By reading this blog, you understand there is no attorney/client relationship between you and the Blog/Website Publisher. The Blog/Website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.