The holiday season is fast approaching in the Mid-South, beginning this weekend with Labor Day celebrations. Unfortunately, fall holiday celebrations bring an increase in drivers operating their vehicles while under the influence of drugs/alcohol.
Steps If You Get Struck By A Drunk Driver.
If you have been in an auto accident with a driver you suspect is under the influence of alcohol or drugs in Memphis, TN you should do the following:
- Stay calm and do not mention to the other driver that you suspect he/she may be under the influence. It is best to use caution during any situation involving a person possibly under the influence.
- Call 911 and wait for the Memphis Police Department and emergency medical personnel to arrive.
- When privately speaking with the MPD investigating officer mention that you suspect the at-fault driver may be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. An experienced officer will then conduct the necessary field sobriety tests to make the correct decision as to whether to charge the driver with additional crimes.
- Obtain the name and contact information from any witnesses who may have noticed the defendant behaving as if he/she was under the influence at the time of the accident.
- Obtain accident report information from the investigating officer.
- Seek appropriate medical treatment.
- Contact the insurance company to report the accident, but we always recommend you first contact an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your legal rights and options beforehand.
- If the defendant driver is in fact charged with DUI, then you should contact the criminal court prosecutor assigned to the case to discuss your injuries and damages. A member of the auto accident team at The Chiozza Law Firm will be happy to act on your behalf and obtain your accident report and contact the lead prosecutor on the criminal case.
Chiozza Law Has The Experience You Need
Being involved in an auto accident in Memphis, TN is tough to start with, only compounded when the other driver is under the influence of alcohol/drugs. The Chiozza Law Firm will ensure that your rights are protected, and you are fully compensated for injuries caused by a drunk driver.
The Chiozza Law Firm has handled thousands of automobile, bus, and motorcycle accident cases thru the years that were caused by drunk and negligent drivers. During these cases we have been successful in achieving substantial settlements and verdicts, all while charging a legal fee we stand behind as one of the lowest in the Mid-South area. Call 901-526-9494 for a free consultation or contact Brian Chiozza, email@example.com, for immediate assistance. It costs absolutely nothing to speak with an attorney at The Chiozza Law Firm about your case, but it can cost you more than you think should you not consult with an experienced attorney. If we are not successful in obtaining a settlement or judgment on your behalf, then you owe us nothing.
SPEAK TO A LAWYER
For more, visit The Chiozza Law Firm, on Facebook and on Twitter.
www.901Law.com, the Memphis Law Firm for all your legal needs!
This Blog/Website is made available by the Lawyer or Law Firm Publisher for educational purposes only, as well as to give you information and a general understanding of the law. It is not to provide you with specific legal advice. By reading this blog, you understand there is no attorney/client relationship between you and the Blog/Website publisher. The Blog/Website should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.