Drug Related Offenses
For many that get arrested for a drug-related offense in Memphis, their initial thoughts often involve fear, confusion, and worry. That’s normal.
In the state of Tennessee, prosecutors actively and aggressively chase down drug-related offenses, which poses a problem for anyone who has endured a minor drug charge. With heavy punishments possible in the future, you need proper representation to weave you through the drug crime process.
With a drug-related crime, you could be given a fine, prison time, or an array of other penalties. The Chiozza Law Firm holds the expertise and the knowledge to represent you in this case. We have successfully represented many individuals who faced the harsh punishments of a drug-related offense.
Some of the more common drug-related offenses in Tennessee include the following:
- Simple possession or casual exchange of a substance, prescription or illegal drug
- Possession with intent (intent to distribute)
- Drug manufacturing of a controlled substance
- Sale or delivery of a controlled substance
- Drug trafficking
- Counterfeiting of a controlled substance
While each of these can carry significant penalties, each case is unique under the court of law. Your history, your alleged crime, and your behavior all play roles in leading up to the penalty's severity.
Drug Crime Penalties in Tennessee
In Tennessee, drug crime penalties relate to drug schedules adopted by the state. These schedules categorize drugs by abuse potential, medical aid possibilities, and international consideration. There are five (5) drug schedules, with drugs in Schedule 1 being the most harmful.
The Drug Enforcement Administration lists drugs in the five (5) drug schedules as the following:
- Schedule 1 - Heroin, marijuana (cannabis), ecstasy, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD)
- Schedule 2 - Cocaine, methamphetamine, methadone, oxycodone, Adderall, Vicodin (in specific situations)
- Schedule 3 - Anabolic steroids, testosterone
- Schedule 4 - Xanax, Soma, Darvocet, Valium
- Schedule 5 - Cough prescriptions (in specific situations)
Remember, the penalty of your drug crime is dependent on your past and your specific situation. Typically, our attorneys see the following penalties for drug-related crimes:
- Driver’s license suspension
- Property forfeiture
- Community service
- Stiff fines
Drug Crime Lawyers in Memphis
If you have been arrested for drug possession or any other drug related offense in Memphis, contact our office to explore your options. We encourage you to talk with an attorney. Why? We understand the process and how to defend you.
We talk you through the situation in a confidential and respectful way, examining options and working on your defense. Call us at 901-526-9494 or complete our form below. You may not be able to change the past, but an attorney at The Chiozza Law Firm can help explain what to expect in the future.
Contact an Attorney Today